There’s no argument about it, Mark Howe is one of the most reputable florists in Jersey. His creativity, attention to detail, and ability to go beyond expectations are both unrivalled and relied on. We were so excited to find out moe about his business, what advice he has for anyone trying to break into the creative industry and how we can keep our home on tredn for 2017.
1. What drew you to flowers?
I grew up in Northern Ireland, surrounded by beautiful countryside, mountains and the sea. My parents ran their own business, a greengrocery shop and plant nursery where they grew flowers, plants, and some vegetables. Working in the shop and the nursery on Saturdays and in school holidays began my love of all things floral. I was always drawn to the beauty and magic of nature so was a natural progression to go to Floristry college after A-levels and make it a career.
2. At Mark Howe Flowers & Co you also sell homeware and home accessories as well as gorgeous stationery. How would you describe your style?
I’d say my style is relaxed, informal and eclectic. I love handcrafted things where the beauty of the raw materials and the passion of the creator shine through. I try to select home-wares and accessories which compliment the flowers.
3. How did you first get involved in weddings? Did you set out to conquer the wedding world or was it just natural occurrence after your reputation grew as such a high-quality florist?
I first did the flowers for my cousin’s wedding when I was about 19. I loved the excitement of being involved in such a happy family celebration. I always want my flowers to reflect the style and personalities of the bride and groom so I work hard to create decorations, which make the occasion. Going beyond and exceeding expectations! It’s the attention to detail, like pinning on the men’s buttonholes to lighting dozens of candles and scattering petals before the guests arrive.
4. What are your top 3 house plants for people who are not in the slightest green fingered?
Succulents, Cacti and Orchids.
5. What’s your favourite part of your business? There are so many aspects to it, you must have a favourite part?
Variety, challenge, and our wonderful, loyal clients and friends. I love working on a big wedding or event. Working with beautiful flowers and plants, which constantly change with the seasons and with fashion, I constantly get to evolve my style.
6. You started Mark Howe Flowers back in 2001, what is your best advice for someone looking to start a creative business today?
Be passionate about what you do and always aim for the highest quality. Look for ways of improving what you do.
7. In the last year of so succulents and cacti became a household staple.What trends are you predicting for 2017?
Lots more plants… greening up our homes! Ferns, palms, plants with lush tropical leaves like Monstera (cheese plants), Philodendrons and Ficus. Florals will have lots of greenery and we’ll be mixing soft English country garden flowers such as Peonies and Roses with sculptural gorgeousness like Proteas and Artichokes… like a still life painting.
8. You work with an amazing team who are so passionate about your business, what steps did you take steps to grow the Mark Howe brand into the well- known business it is today?
Hard word, dedication, attention to detail, caring for our clients and going the extra mile!
9. Who do you admire in the creative industry?
Alexander McQueen and Kit Kemp, interior decorator and founder of Firmdale hotels.
10. What would be your ideal day in Jersey?
In the summer, there’s nothing better than going for an after work swim at St. Brelade’s Bay and supper with friends at the Wayside!